Have you ever really considered the health of your brain? The health of our brains is extremely important yet it’s something many of us never even consider. We focus on the health of things like our skin and hair and our gut and heart, completely disregarding the brain. But a healthy brain is a major factor in our ability to live long and healthy lives. So with that in mind, here are some of our top tips for caring for your brain.
1. NutritionUnsurprisingly, what we put in our bodies plays a huge part in our health - including our brains. The function of the brain is directly related to the structure - which is created from what we eat and drink. If you’re suffering from symptoms such as brain fog, anxiety, lack of mental clarity, and afternoon slumps, your diet may be a factor. For optimal brain health eat a wide variety of fruit and vegetables, as well as whole-grain carbohydrates and essential fats. DHA in particular is important for brain structure. Getting enough B vitamins is vital for brain health and function which you can get from eating eggs, fish, poultry, meat, and dairy products.
2. HydrationA well hydrated body means a well hydrated brain. Staying hydrated boosts your brain function, balances your mood and helps you get a good night’s sleep. But it’s not surprising seeing as our brain is 75% water. Our brains are so sensitive to hydration that even 1% dehydration can have big effects on brain function including concentration, mental clarity and memory. To stay hydrated you need to drink around 2-3L of water every single day and more if you’re exercising or the weather is hot.
3. SleepSleep is extremely important to brain health and mental wellbeing. During rest periods our subconscious has an opportunity to get creative and this has long term benefits for us. On average we need between 7 and 9 hours sleep and even a 30 minute increase in your quantity of sleep can improve your work performance and your productivity. Napping can be beneficial for our brain especially if we are trying to make up for lost or disrupted sleep. It’s best to try and nap for either 30 or 90 minutes to benefit our natural sleep cycles.
4. Brain supplementsSpecially formulated brain supplements are a fantastic way to boost our brain health and increase functionality. NAD+ supplements help with brain and mental regeneration providing you with a whole host of brain boosting benefits including:
- Better concentration
- Improved mental clarity
- Memory enhancement
- Reduced brain fog
- Improved sleep
- Increased creativity and productivity
- Revitalise neurological activity